Includes a discussion of the rival powers competing for land in present-day New England and some consequences of that competition. Using a French, British, Dutch, and American maps, this lesson asks the following questions: Why did these countries want land in New England? Who benefited and who was harmed through the European colonization of New England?
- Grade Levels: 6-12
- Time Allotment: 60 to 75 minutes
- Maine Social Studies Standards: C1, C2, D1, E1, E2
- Game: Resources of Colonial New England
- Worksheet: Colonization of New England --> Answers
- Extra Option:
- Drake, James. King Philip's War: Civil War in New England. 1999.
- Kurlansky, Mark. Cod: Biography of the Fish that Changed the World. 2011.
- Morganelli, Adrianna. Samuel de Champlain: From New France to Cape Cod. 2006.