Examines European maps of South America and the Caribbean for illustrations of colonial ambitions. By observing the differing views of South America between nations and time periods, students will better understand the events of the continent’s colonization and some its consequences: war, exploration, and enslavement.
- Grade Levels: 6-12
- Time Allotment: 60 to 75 minutes
- Maine Social Studies Standards: C1, D2, E1, E2
- Worksheet: Colonial South America Map Mystery --> Answers
- Extra Options:
- Aronson, Marc. Sugar Changed the World. 2010.
- Paiewonsky, Michael. Conquest of Eden. 1991.