This lesson shows how the development of tourism and different modes of transportation changed maps and history. It starts with tourism in Europe and ends with tourism in Maine. The activity that accompanies this is a map of the United States, which the students complete by coloring in the states they have visited according to how they got there. They also choose three states they have visited and draw a picture symbolizing their ideas of that state.
- Grade Levels: 3-5
- Time Allotment: 60 to 75 minutes
- Maine Social Studies Standards: C1, E1
- Game: Streamlined Train Game
- Worksheet: Where in the USA?
- Extra Options:
- Hanson, Susan. Geography of Urban Transportation. 2004.