This lesson uses maps of Portland to illustrate important events and milestones in Portland’s history, including the Revolutionary War and the Great Fire of 1866. It is followed up by an activity booklet in which students are asked to complete the following:
- Analyze changes in Portland’s landscape
- Locate symbolic meaning in Portland’s city seal
- Trace the events in Mowatt’s destruction of Falmouth during the Revolutionary War
- Imagine what life was like for Portlanders after the Great Fire of 1866
- Examine a thematic map about Portland’s history for information about other key events in the city’s development
- Conforti, Joseph. Creating Portland. 2007.