Maps of Maine
If you are looking for a map from a particular area, the best bet is to try a collection from that area.
Within the U.S. (organized by state)
If the collection has a digital database or part of its collections available online, the link will be posted below the name.
Interactive Map Servers (IMS)
Exploring Historical Maps with IMS
- The Atlascope project brings nearly 100 atlases of Boston and its surroundings into a seamless digital interface.
- Land Catalog
- An online application through the Bureau of Land Management that lets the public search for Patents, Surveys, Land Status Records, etc.
- Mapping Inequality
- Interactive maps looking at redlining practices
- NYPL Building Inspector
- “This app is the latest in a series of public-facing tools designed by The New York Public Library Labs to extract, correct and analyze data from historical maps.”
- NYPL Map Warper
- “The NYPL Map Warper is a tool for digitally aligning (“rectifying”) historical maps from the NYPL’s collections to match today’s precise maps.”
- USGS mapView
- Discover geologic maps through the interactive map database.
- USGS topoView
- Search for topographic maps by using this interactive map database.
MIY- Map it Yourself
Mapping Historical Events
Mapping Indigenous Nations, territories, treaties, and languages
- Native Land
- “Native Land is a tool that maps out Indigenous territories, treaties, and languages. This tool is not meant to be an official, legal, or archival resource. It is instead a broadly researched and crowdsourced body of information.”
- Whose Land
- “Whose Land is a web-based app that uses GIS technology to assist users in identifying Indigenous Nations, territories, and Indigenous communities across Canada.”
Mapping Information and Data
Map Collections Online
Many map collections have some of their collection digitized and available online. Many of the collections listed above have additional links to their digital collections. The links below are more general, or highly recommended.
Cartographic and Geographic Reference Resources