The Osher Map Library and Smith Center for Cartographic Education is pleased to announce the availability of ten $500 “Teaching with Maps” Grade 6-12 Educator Fellowships for summer 2022.
Applications are due no later than June 17, 2022.
This opportunity is open to all Maine educators working with students in grades 6-12, from any subject area!
• Identify a course (existing or new) that you will teach between Fall 2022 and Summer 2023 (inclusive).
• Create at least one unit/module and assignment/project within your course that requires students to engage with OML collections (maps, atlases, rare books, board games, prints, etc.)
If you are selected for a fellowship, you will need to complete the following to receive your stipend:
• 3 sessions (mix of in-person and Zoom) with your teacher Cohort of ten educators (includes an optional in-person tour). 90-minute sessions will take place late-June, mid-July, and early-August. br>
• Minimum one visit anytime during Summer 2022 for in-person research at the OML (can be more!). Research appointments are available Tuesday through Saturday. We are located on USM’s Portland Campus. br>
• Develop one Lesson/Activity/or Unit to be shared with the OML.
• Document the experience of the actual implementation of the lesson/activity/unit you developed with our materials.
• Fill out a Brief online survey and reflection.
To apply, please fill out this brief online application form, which includes a 250–500 word proposal describing your course, its current learning outcomes, and how you are thinking about incorporating Osher Map Library collections into your course.
Many of the OML’s cataloged items are identified through the online search on our website; if the items have been imaged, they can also be consulted in high-resolution images. Simply go to https://oshermaps.org and use the “Browse Maps” or “Advanced Search” functions.
Renee Keul, our K-12 Outreach Coordinator is happy to answer any questions from teachers interested in applying for a fellowship. She can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are due no later than June 17, 2022, and applicants will be informed of the fellowship awards by June 21, 2022.
The 2022 Teaching with Maps Fellowships are generously sponsored by the Friends of the Osher Map Library.